Sunday, July 26, 2009

Tragic Day



It's taken me nearly a week to muster up the strength to write this post...but I feel like I need to. It was painful, but I feel that maybe there is a lesson here that I need to remember in the future. Last Sunday evening Blair and Shanna and their family arrived at our house to spend the week with us. We were so excited and had plans for each day! On Monday morning we woke up and decided to take the kids to Bridal Vail Falls for a picnic and hike. Jake headed off to work and the rest of us packed up a lunch and headed out.
When we arrived at Nunns Park we decided to hike to the Falls first and come back to eat. We unpacked strollers and scooters and headed up the path. We were stopping to take pictures and check out the bridges...we all noticed that the water was higher and stronger than we remembered in the past.
Right as we were about to reach the Falls tradegy struck. Shanna was up the path the highest with all the kids and Blair and I were a little slower, but heading up. We all suddenly saw people running and screaming, "Baby in the water!! Baby in the water!!" Panic struck immediately and Blair and I turned and ran down the path looking for a way to see in the river. I hit the clearing first and saw the child floating down the river...I started screaming at the top of my lungs that I saw her...somebody help! I was frozen. Next thing I saw was Blair jump in the river in front of me.
Relief and then terror came within a split second. I couldn't see Shanna and realized that she didn't know Blair was in there. I ran up the path screaming to her, "Can Blair swim?? Can he swim well??" I screamed to her that Blair had jumped in and we traded posts...I took the kids and she ran after Blair. I immediatley felt that I had put my brother's life in danger and can't describe how that felt. I began gathering up the kids...holding on to each one of them and started back down the path. Within a minute we saw Blair (soaking wet) and Shanna coming up the path towards us...tears began streaming down my face and I ran and hugged him.
He told me that when he jumped in he felt her and tried to grab her, but the swift water had ripped her from his hands...he tried to reach her again, but she drifted too far too quickly. He had to find a way out of the water and he used large tree roots growing into the river to get out. He was devastated.
The devastation hit us all hard as we left the path and saw search and rescue, firemen, police and helicopters searching for her. Nobody knows that Blair jumped in there...he wasn't on the news, he didn't stop to tell anybody, he just did his best and quietly moved on.
We later found out that she was found a mile down river stuck under a rock. She was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center and passed away the next day.
Blair swears that he didn't hear me scream for someone to jump in and save her...he says he was throwing clothes, a backpack and flip flops off as he ran down the path because he knew he had to try to save her. My little brother is a hero in my eyes and I have never been prouder to be his sister. I hope he never again doubts his strength and courage...I know I won't.
As for me, it is humbling and frightening to me that I didn't do more in that situation. Jake says it just teaches me my limits...I wish I had been stronger. All I know for sure, is that I am hugging my kids a little tighter and keeping them a little closer. My prayers go out to that sweet girl's family and I hope they can find strength. She was 8 or 9 years old...very close to my Karlee...I can't describe how difficult it has been to try to get this out of my mind. It seems to be haunting me still and I hope that I never have to witness something that difficult again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ash, your Mom called grandma and told her the same day of what happened.

We were so worried both for the girls saftey and Blairs... when we heard they had treated the family for hypothermia cold water we were very concerned.

I can't express what we felt when we all came together that day... In our front room we talked about what had happened.

You see, it had only been 24 hours since our own Conner had fallen into the stream in Pine Valley during a Ward dinner. We were all too familar with how fast something like this could happen.

We must remember that our Father in Heaven has a plan in all he does. This makes us all step back and count our blessings of being responsible for these little spirts. They are so precious... We love you all so much. Take care and know we are thinking of you all.

jen said...

Thanks for sharing, and Blair really is a hero for his selfless act of risking his own life to try to save a stranger! What a great guy! That was a very touching story and makes me realize how fast something like that can happen and we really need to be sure to cherish each day with our little ones!

Christy said...

oh man, I had no idea that you were involved with that tragdic event. I heard it on the news. What a scary situation.

I hope that the rest of your vacation with them went well and was fun.

Shanna Nemrow said...

Thank you for writing about it. I can't. Blair can't. We know we need to record it, but I can't bring myself to do it on our blog. Blair and I talked about it and I think we decided to record it in a journal. But I honestly don't know if I can write about it. Every night up there, I would have flashbacks to seeing that little girl in the water and then I would see Mackenzie or Garrett in the water and both images tore me apart. Blair gave me a blessing a couple of nights ago and it's helped a lot. I thought it would be easier when I got home, but yesterday was really hard. I thought about the girls family returning home to Colorado without her and it hurt...bad. I will never forget that day or this hurt. I am so proud of Blair, but it still scares me to think of how I felt as I ran down that path trying to find him. I grieve for that little girl too. It is so crazy how fast everything can change.
I was surprised when you wrote that you wish you could have done more. Ash, it all happened so fast. Blair, you, and I did all we could. I love you lots. I read that tile you got us everyday and it brings comfort. Thank you.