Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jury Duty

The past 2 days have been some of the most interesting I have had in a long time. I arrived at the courthouse at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning (VERY early for me!) and went through a long process of jury selection. I thought for sure I would not be chosen because I admitted that I generally think people are guilty before I know the details of a case. I guess that wasn't controversial enough information, because by 1:00 that afternoon I was chosen to be on the jury for a domestic sexual assualt case.

The case lasted until 4:00 Tuesday afternoon...then the jury deliberations began. I was really nervous once the case was done and I realized the heavy duty I was about to embark on. It's such an interesting thing to be with 8 strangers and have to make a unanimous decision beyond a reasonable doubt. I was the youngest of the group and felt that each of us in the jury room had such unique and different backgrounds and perspectives. After we started our deliberations with a prayer (only in Utah County!) and got going it became clear that this wouldn't be an open/shut case. I have to admit that when I entered the deliberation room I really didn't know what I would do, I wasn't sure who to believe.

So, we all discussed the evidence and our feelings about the victim and the defendent and the witnesses. At about 5:30 we realized we weren't close to a decsision...we ordered dinner (the court covers the cost because you can't leave the room until you have reached a verdict). By 6:00 we had 7 of the 8 people convinced one way and we spent the next 2 1/2 hours talking and discussing until everyone in the room was totally on board with the verdict. By 8:30 we called the Judge and said we had finished our deliberations. By 9:00 the lawyers and everyone were back in the courtroom and our verdict was read..."The Jury has found the Defendent guilty of both charges". It was a difficult thing to be a part of. Certainly the victim wasn't an angel and the defendent was not a nice guy...it was a story that was difficult to believe...it made me realize the incredible blessings I have in my life. I am more grateful for a loving husband, happy children, great friends and a concerned family than I have ever been.

3 comments:

Katie & Travis Nemrow said...

WOW! What an experiance.
It's funny how you hear about these things happening but you never think that one day you would be apart of jury in a situation like that.
Thanks for sharing your experiance with us...

lots of love,
Katie and Travis

P.S. we can't wait to see you guys this next weekend :)

Sam and Holly said...

I'm summoned to jury duty this week as well. I have been calling each night and THANK GOODNESS I have not had to go in yet...but I do have to at 8:30 am tomorrow. It better not last as long as yours (Sam gone)! Now you can get a feel for what I deal with at my job at Primary Children's. I cut down to 1-2 on-call shifts/month. I just couldn't close that door all the way for some reason. So are you done?

Debbie said...

Wow Ash! Glad I haven't had to deal with that in my life yet. It would be an overwhelming experience. To feel that kind of responsibility for someone elses life. It is such a small glimpse of how our Heavenly Father must feel when it is our turn to be judged. The concern the agony and sense of duty all at the same time. We love you so much and are so proud of you and your wonderful family!

Love Ya!
Mom